- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) today announced that it has made a strategic investment in Mellanox Technologies, Ltd. (NASDAQ: MLNX; TASE: MLNX), a leading supplier of end-to-end connectivity solutions for servers and storage systems, to further align product vision and maximize partnership efforts.
- Mellanox’s InfiniBand is the premier switch fabric for enterprise data centers and high performance computing, providing superior scalability, higher throughput and lower latency in comparison to alternative communications technologies.
- Oracle and Mellanox have had a long-term strategic partnership that allows Oracle to leverage Mellanox's InfiniBand products to create differentiated Oracle solutions like Exadata and Exalogic. A strong and friendly relationship with Mellanox is critical to Oracle.
- Mellanox intends to make Oracle Solaris a core supported operating system platform to help meet increasing customer demand.
- In recognition of the importance of InfiniBand and Mellanox to Oracle, Oracle has acquired 10.2% of Mellanox’s ordinary shares in the open market. This stake is for investment purposes only, to solidify common interest in the future of InfiniBand.
- Oracle has no plan or intention to make an unsolicited and unfriendly offer to take over Mellanox.
- Mellanox is expected to continue to work with all technology vendors, in addition to Oracle, such as Dell, HP, IBM, and others, to maximize the usage of InfiniBand as the preferred data center communications fabric.
- “InfiniBand is by far the fastest and most efficient switch fabric for running enterprise data centers,” said Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. “Mellanox has been instrumental in maintaining InfiniBand's immense competitive lead over Ethernet. We are a big supporter of the company and this investment based upon our belief in the InfiniBand technology and in the Mellanox management team.”
- “Mellanox has had a long standing relationship with Sun, and now Oracle, that goes back over eight years,” said Mellanox CEO Eyal Waldman. “We are pleased that Oracle has chosen to make this strategic investment in Mellanox and look forward to an expanding partnership that will maximize the potential of InfiniBand.”
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
Statements in this press release relating to Oracle’s future plans, expectations, beliefs, intentions and prospects are “forward-looking statements” and are subject to material risks and uncertainties. When used in this press release, the words “will”, “intend to”, “intends”, “intention”, “expected to”, similar expressions and any other statements that are not historical facts are intended to identify those assertions as forward-looking statements. Any such statement may be influenced by a variety of factors, many of which are beyond the control of Oracle, that could cause actual outcomes and results to be materially different from those projected, described, expressed or implied in this press release due to a number of risks and uncertainties. Accordingly, no assurances can be given that any of the events anticipated by the forward-looking statements will transpire or occur. A detailed discussion of these factors and other risks that affect our business is contained in our SEC filings, including our most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q, particularly under the heading “Risk Factors.” Copies of these filings are available online from the SEC or by contacting Oracle Corporation’s Investor Relations Department at (650) 506-4073 or by clicking on SEC Filings on Oracle’s Investor Relations website at http://www.oracle.com/investor. All information set forth in this press release is current as of October 27, 2010. Oracle undertakes no duty to update any statement in light of new information or future events.
Mellanox Technologies is a leading supplier of end-to-end connectivity solutions for servers and storage that optimize data center performance. Mellanox products deliver market-leading bandwidth, performance, scalability, power conservation and cost-effectiveness while converging multiple legacy network technologies into one future-proof solution. For the best in performance and scalability, Mellanox is the choice for Fortune 500 data centers and the world’s most powerful supercomputers. Founded in 1999, Mellanox Technologies is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California and Yokneam, Israel. For more information, visit Mellanox at www.mellanox.com.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world’s most complete, open and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Oracle Corporate Communications